White Lion (King Street)

Three lions on the map … Indeed three White Lions there were, once upon a time in the Three Towns. There was one in Park Street, off Old Town Street, Plymouth, another in Clarence Place, opposite the old Royal Naval Hospital wall in Stonehouse, and a third in Devonport, in King Street just a few yards away from the erstwhile Morice Square.

Today only the Stonehouse premises still stands and although it still trades under the same name it is no longer a pub, rather it operates as a café. Of the other two, the Plymouth pub went first, way back in the second half of the nineteenth century, while the Devonport institution was a victim of the enemy bombing in the Second World War. Its site is now part of the school.


1798 - John Cooling
1814 - Cook
1822 - Roberts
1823 - Thomas Langdon
1830 - Benjamin Hicks
1857 - Robert Burt
1880 - Mrs A Burt
1885 - W Radcliffe
1888 - William Hazell
1901 - Mrs Eliza Peters
1903 - Mrs Bennett
1905 - John Smale
1937 - F Hutchings
1939-40 - John Riddle