For the greater part of the nineteenth century the White Hart pub stood on the corner of Pembroke Street and Stanley Street, Devonport. Quite why it closed is unclear, however can’t be ruled out as in the late 1860s when it was last open for business there were some twenty other pubs, beerhouses or spirit vaults in Pembroke Street alone.
The name itself is one of the most common pub names in the country. It originated in the fourteenth century – during the reign of Richard II whose heraldic symbol it was and who made members of his household wear a version of it. The sign became so common among licensees keen to show their allegiance that the words ‘White Hart’ became synonymous with taverns in the same way that Tannoy is with loudspeaker systems and Hoover is with vacuum cleaners.
1812 - David Cannon
1814 - W Dustin
1822 - William Pengelly
1844 - Samuel Coombes