Town Hall Tavern

Before the war it could be found at No 27 Westwell Street with Polkinghorne (coal merchants), Brownings (tailors) and Hearders (chemists) on one side, and Oats, Partridge & Co (estate agents), George Reynolds (tobacconist) and Blundell & Co (wholesale wine and spirit merchants) on the other – note their dray outside in this 1920s photograph.

Standing just yards from the entrance to the Guildhall Square (the entrance to the Guildhall itself was around the corner – the tower is visible here) the proprietors of the Town Hall Tavern (as it was originally known) had clearly not opted to change the name to City Hall Vaults when Plymouth was granted city status on 17th October 1928. The tavern was a victim of the March 1941 Blitz.


1880 - Mary Wotton
1888 - EH Randle
1907 - Mrs Mary Randle
1926 - Richard Foot
1929 - George Gillan
1941 - Ernest Gay