Three Tuns (Catherine Street)

Time was when there were two Three Tuns in Devonport – one in Catherine Street and another in neighbouring Princess (later Princes) Street. While this was a little unusual it wasn’t altogether surprising as the Three Tuns motif appears in both the arms of the Worshipful Company of Vinters and the Worshipful Company of Brewers – both appear to have used the symbol since the fifteenth century. Consequently the name is used in the same way as the Grapes or the Vine, or the Barley Sheaf or Barley Mow, that is a simple visual indication, for those who can’t read, as to what’s on offer inside the premises. The two pubs both appear to have been the victims of redevelopment at different points in the nineteenth century. The Catherine Street premises appearing to disappear in the wake of the changes following the building of Devonport’s new Market.


1812 - Peter Jessop Downs
1864 - W Webster
1867 - Joseph Cornish
1873 - John Collings