The Lamb

Change is not an element of the modern age exclusive to the modern age, it has always been with us and throughout the nineteenth century, as the centre of Plymouth developed so roads were widened, old houses in old narrow thoroughfares were pulled down and bigger modern (Victorian to us) buildings put in their place. Streets were often renamed, and renumbered and Treville Street, off the busy Old Town Street, was no exception. Sometime around the late 1870s or 1880s the ancient Bilbury Street became absorbed into Treville Street and numbers 20-30 odd became 1-20 odd, while numbers 1-20 became something like 80-100. Among that last batch we find the original No.9 and No.17, housing the Spread Eagle public house and the Lamb respectively. The Lamb however appears not to have survived the transition, it stood on a site almost fronting directly onto the door of the main Post Office today, off St Andrew’s Cross.


1830 - Samuel Julyan
1844 - George Willoughby
1850 - James Bartlett
1857 - Henry Hyne
1864 - John Baker
1865 - Thomas Harris
1867 - William Blatchford