Stonehouse Wine and Spirit Vaults

In the mid-nineteenth century there were about twenty pubs in High Street, Stonehouse, among them, the Stonehouse Wine and Spirit Vaults. This in turn was one of at least three pubs in Stonehouse to carry the name of the town – there was also the Stonehouse Tavern in Edgcumbe Street (Union Street) and the Stonehouse Vaults in Caroline Place, both of which appear to have outlived this particular premises.

Situated on the south side of the street between St Mary Street and Market Street, the pub closed between Christmas and New Year in 1933. Latterly a Starkey Knight and Ford house, it had previously been in the hands of the erstwhile Bedford Brewery in Alexandra Road (which later became Bowyer’s Factory and which was demolished in the mid-1980s.


1852 - William Bray
1862 - G Rogers
1885 - C Phillips
1903 - J Goodman
1907 - R Ross
1914 - William Ludgate
1921 - John Manning
1926 - Frederick Uren