Stoker’s Arms

Running alongside, a little to the east, and roughly parallel to Old Town Street, Kinterbury Street was a relatively short thorough that, in Tudor times, had been a fairly desirable and largely rural stretch on the town’s fringes. William Hawkins, who served Plymouth twice as mayor in the 1530s bought ‘a tenement and garden in a certain venella’ there.

With the Spread Eagle (formerly the King’s Head) at its northern end, at the junction with erstwhile Treville Street, this narrow thoroughfare boasted a number of inns over the years, including the Bunch of Grapes – the favourite haunt of a local literary group; the Old Golden Lion, the Stoker’s Arms and the distinctively named Tumbledown Dick.


1847 - John Hansley
1850 - M Toll
1852 - Ursula Williams
1856 - Richard Smith
1862 - M Williams
1865 - Thomas Cann