Royal Standard (High Street)

Prior to the construction of High Street flats in the late 1930s (they were opened by Lady Astor in June 1938) there was an interesting collection of ancient properties running down the eastern side of High Street (now known as Buckwell Street) towards the Notte Street junction, among them No.34. Later renumbered No.58 this was, for a number of years in the middle of the nineteenth century, the Royal Standard. A popular pub name – Stonehouse and Devonport each had their own – it is a reference to the flag that is flown when the monarch is in residence at a royal palace, or on any vehicle when the monarch is travelling. It is never flown at half-mast as the new monarch succeeds immediately on the death of his or her predecessor.


1847 - Richard Hughes
1852 - John Johns