Queen of the West

One of a handful of pubs in nineteenth century Adelaide Street, Stonehouse, the Queen of the West (on the corner with Battery Street) closed on 21 February 1926. Compensation had been paid a week early – on Valentine’s Day – suggesting that this may have been a compulsory purchase to allow redevelopment.

There’s no indication on who or what the original Queen of the West was, but a clear favourite has to be the New York built packet steamer ‘Queen of the West’ which for eleven years (1843-54) sailed between Liverpool and New York taking many Irish emigrants across the Atlantic. Written off after going aground in Carmarthen Bay she was repaired and relaunched under a British flag and would appear to have seen another decade or so of service through to the late 1870s.


1880 - J McAuliffe
1888 - John Wright
1911 - James Ford
1924 - William Gilbard
1925 - William Blacker
1929 - Edwina Blacker