Between 1865 and 1867 the number of pubs in King Street appears to have increased by ten; whether this was in the wake of the transformation of Millbay following the Great Western Railways redevelopment of the docks overseen by Brunel, or the subsequent arrival of the railway, a combination of the two, or just a factor of the changing face of Plymouth in the second half of the nineteenth century, is not particularly clear. What is indisputable, however, is that most did not survive for long.

The Oddfellows, as it happens, is bit of an exception; it continued to serve the community well into the twentieth century, before finally closing its doors just ahead of the outbreak of the Great War in 1914.


1867 - William Jenkin
1873 - William Squires
1895 - Frederick Burch
1903 - C Grant
1907 - H Coyles
1911 - H Simmonds