Morley Inn (East Street)

On the south side of East Street, running westwards off Old Town Street, stood the Morley Inn. Early references suggest that this was originally known as Little Market Street (1823), after the market was developed here at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Curiously it is named as East Street in 1830, but briefly became Market Alley (at the beginning of the 1840s) before reverting to, and remaining as, for as long as the street stood, East Street.

Before that eventually demise came, in the wake of the war and the subsequent re-planning, it would appear that the pub itself was renamed, becoming the Corn Exchange Hotel, in the early 1890s, not long after the Corn Exchange itself had been created on the northern side of East Street.


1823 - William Wingett
1830 - Thomas Rowe
1847 - William Andrews
1862 - J Newman
1865 - W Blight
1873 - J Thomas
1880 - A Smith
1885 - J Polsue
1888 - William Skinner
1911 - JH Dodd
1919 - Sydney Dodd
1928 - Tom Hull
1933 - Charles Sandford