Lamb Inn (Devonport)

It stood at the very top of a rather strange narrow strip of buildings that ran parallel to the northern wall of the South Yard of Devonport Dockyard. Sandwiched between a thoroughfare simply called ‘Lane’ – one side of which was the wall itself, and another cobbled road called Dockwalls Lane, they ran from Queen Street to Cornwall Beach (it was later replaced by Holman’s Buildings). This was an area, close by the Yard and to the principal drop off point for waterborne transport, that was once awash with public houses and the Lamb was one of many in Queen Street alone (others included the Duke of Cornwall, the Standard, the New Star and the Tamar.

The name Lamb was quite popular in pub circles, thanks, in many instances, to a surely tongue in cheek reference to the biblical line from John’s Gospel – ‘behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world.’


1830 - Richard Easton
1852 - Charles Sweet
1857 - James Grills
1862 - Henry Arthur
1864 - Emanuel Shepherd
1867 - James Popham