King’s Arms (Knackersknowle)

If ever there was going to be a time during the nineteenth century when Crownhill (then known as Knackers Knowle) could support three pubs, it would have been around the time that Crownhill Fort was being built and first manned. Of the three, the King’s Arms at least pre-dates the work on the fortification, however it doesn’t appear to pre-date the accession of Queen Victoria, which makes the choice of pub name an interesting one. Still, the King’s Arms is one of the most popular pub names across the country and in what we now regard as modern Plymouth (that is including Stonehouse, Devonport, Oreston and Crownhill) there have been no less than seven different King’s Arms – two of which are still around today. But not the Crownhill premises for that appears to have closed not long after Crownhill Fort was completed and first occupied.


1857 - William Minors
1870 - Thomas Rolestone