It stood on the north-eastern corner of Pembroke Street and Monument Street, just in from the junction with James Street and within a stone’s throw of the Dockyard Wall.

Officially No.8 Pembroke Street, it appears to have started operating as a beerhouse in the later part of the first half of the nineteenth century and its name is quite possibly a reference to HMS Impregnable, one of the better known Plymouth guardships. Launched in Chatham in 1810 Impregnable was in and out of Plymouth a number of times in her early days and took part in the attack on Algiers in 1816 with the loss of some fifty lives with more than 150 wounded – from a crew of around 800.

Refitted as a guardship for Plymouth soon after that, she became the flagship of Admiral Sir JT Duckworth, before being recommissioned a few years later. From 1862 she was used as boys’ training ship at Devonport and was twice renamed – Kent in 1888 and Caledonia in 1891 when she was transferred to the Firth of the Forth.

The pub itself called time for the last time in January 1927.


1844 - Daniel Taylor
1864 - William Rowe
1867 - Edward Hinde
1877 - RW Ash
1888 - Frederick Carr
1893 - J Vincent
1901 - T Cummins
1908 - F Ellis
1920 - Mrs SA Trist
1924 - Mary Pront