Forester’s Arms (Duke Street)

It site currently overlooks the Admiralty’s Dockyard extension wall of the mid-1950s, a location which, prior to that time, found it in a busy thoroughfare, one of the principal routes down to Devonport Market.

Like the neighbouring Duke Street Inn, the Foresters also stood just yards from St John Street Ope and the old St John’s Street Baptist Church. Today little of the original Duke Street survives and the Foresters is but one of a handful of hostelries that the street formerly boasted; the Baker’s, the Boer, the Bridport and the oldest of them all, the Queen’s Head, were among the others.


1877 - Ro Wooten
1885 - G Mole
1904 - C Jessop
1911 - F Shepherd
1914 - E Medland
1919 - Fred Potter
1920 - Beatrice Potter
1923 - Frederick Parker
1931 - Jessica Parker
1950 - Alfred Parker
1955 - William Leest