Fisherman’s Arms

Overlooking the entrance to Stonehouse Creek in that part of Richmond Walk just below the Devonport Lines, known as Baker’s Place, was the Fisherman’s Arms. Close by, but not the closest to, the London and South Western Railway terminal at Ocean Quay (which opened in 1877), this was on the main pedestrian – and vehicular – route into the station. As such it would have been a popular watering hole in the late-nineteenth and very early twentieth century (the passenger service stopped in 1910 but goods traffic continued until 1966).

One of Messrs H & G Simonds many pubs in the Three Towns, the Fisherman’s was also, doubtless, quite popular with local fisherman too, although commercially that activity had long deferred to Sutton Harbour and would have been more regularly frequented by boatmen and men working in the local timber and coal yards. It was closed by enemy bombing in the war.


1857 - Mrs Elizabeth Hancock
1893 - James Sturgeon
1915 - Daniel Phillips
1921 - Glanville Phillips
1922 - Elizabeth Phillips
1923 - William Baker
1934 - Edward Baxter
1941 - William McIntyre