Farley’s Hotel

Although advertised as a ‘Commercial Hotel and Family Boarding House’ this was one of two dozen or so pre-war licensed premises in Union Street. Elizabeth Andrews had converted it from a private residence around the time the railway cut a swathe through the street, bridging the road on its way to Millbay Station. Gradually swallowing up its near neighbours on the eastern side of that bridge, Mrs Farley ran it throughout the 1850s/60s and into the 1870s, while throughout the 1890s and into the twentieth century A Routley was the licensee.

Bombed during the Second World War, in 1956 its licence was transferred to the proposed Roger de Whitleigh pub in Budshead Road. In the event the provisional pub name was altered in May of the following year and it opened as the Albermarle.


1850 - Elizabeth Andrews
1853 - Mrs Farley
1877 - GH Walters
1890 - A Routley
1907 - R Hacker
1914 - AS Rowe
1919 - Clara Proctor
1931 - Richard Gilbert
1933 - Frederick Haggadon
1934 - Edward Farebrother