Emigrants’ Arms

The Emigrants’ Arms stood on the corner of Newport Street and Chapel Lane (which ran up to the erstwhile St George’s Church), Stonehouse. It was one of four pubs in this short harbourside thoroughfare and each in their own way reflected something of the nature of the area. The Steampacket was at the far end, nearest the point where travelers embarked and disembarked from such vessels; the Commercial was at the entrance to the street, while the Shipwrights and Emigrants’ Arms were somewhere between the two.

Meanwhile in the Whitehall Yard, at the seaward end of the street you would have found the Government Emigration Depot, where people congregated prior, presumably to their leaving the country by boat. Captain Stoll was the Superintendent here in the 1860s.
An unusual pub name, there is a pub called the Emigration in Stockport, but that, apparently, was named after a racehorse.


1870 - Anthony George
1877 - CB Smith
1880 - Luther Evans
1893 - Thomas Lamb
1895 - S Cunningham
1898 - Ellen Cunningham
1903 - J Lucas