Duke of Cornwall (Cornwall Street)

It stood in the old Cornwall Street, just beyond its junction with East Street and Market Avenue, on a site now occupied by the New George Street entrance to Dingles. Curiously enough although the property was bombed during the Second World War, the building had already ceased to be a pub by that time having been acquired by Dingles boot department at the very end of the 1930s.

For the previous hundred years or so though this had been the Duke of Cornwall, a modest beerhouse and one that for over forty years belonged to William Jolliffe who twice endured spells here as the licensee.

With such close links to the Duchy of Cornwall it is no great surprise to find this name on a Plymouth pub sign, and indeed, in addition to the famous hotel that still stands at that point where the Hoe meets Millbay, there was also once a Duke of Cornwall in Devonport (Queen Street) and in Stonehouse (High Street).


1830 - Mackey
1850 - George Partridge
1857 - John Prout
1873 - Richard Davey
1877 - E Davey
1880 - W Davis
1888 - George Taylor
1890 - William Jolliffe
1911 - MJ Thomas
1915 - WC Rogers
1921 - William Jolliffe
1935 - Bertram Little
1937 - Rex Liff
1938 - Stanley Vickery