It pre-dated, and stood due south of, the erstwhile Friary Station in a street that has itself long since ceased to exist – Salem Street. The street was a shortish affair which now sits underneath the northern side of the triple carriageway that is the modern Exeter Street.
While it might seem logical that the pub came into being after the railway station had been built – the name Cosmopolitan implies a certain multinational or international clientele – it would seem that it closed soon after the railway arrived here in 1878 (the register for the old Wesleyan Chapel in Salem Street appears to have closed then too – although the building survived for a while).
1857 - John Bennett
1862 - William Rendle
1865 - Samuel Bunker