Coach and Horses

It would appear to have been open throughout the nineteenth century; it is by no means certain that John Cockram was the first licensee and it would appear that George Baker was still landlord there in 1898. However time had been called by 1903 by which time the building was enjoying a brief spell as refreshment rooms before becoming a bootmaker’s premises a few years later.

Named during the golden age of coach (and horse) travel and located in what would then have been one of the town’s more modern thoroughfares – Frankfort Street – the Coach and Horses was doubtless a state-of-the-art inn, in its day. It’s difficult now to imagine back to the pre-train, post-turnpike era, when horse drawn transport was the fastest means of cross country travel, harder still to imagine the impact when the ‘iron horse’ largely superseded it, spawning countless Railway Taverns up and down the country.


1804 - John Cockram
1823 - Samuel Webber
1844 - Edmund Jay
1847 - William Lucks
1852 - Robert Lidstone
1862 - Samuel Pethebridge
1880 - F Chapple
1890 - George Baker