Castle Inn

The building is believed to be Georgian but he deeds record that Samuel Hanley bought the site from the Treby Family in 1851 for the princely sum of £342. Under the terms of the agreement he was not permitted to pen sheep or cattle on the site on market days. There was already a brewhouse, malthouse and dwelling house here and so Hanley adapted his investment as the Castle Inn, complete with a stable yard, slaughterhouse, skittle alley, offices and four adjoining cottages.

In 1877 Hanley’s widow, Sarah took over the property, later selling it to the Octagon Brewery and they held it until 1911 when it was bought by Frederick Willcocks. This would appear to be when The Castle (named after the ruin of the nearby Norman keep) ceased to be a pub. Currently owned by Phil and Carol Keith the delightful building still has the cobbled courtyard that led to the loos and part of the skittle alley is still there too.


1857 - Samuel Hanley
1870 - John Soper
1873 - John Webber
1881 - John Perry
1883 - John Lillicrap
1903 - Charles Wilde