Builder’s Arms (Stonehouse)

For more than fifty years, on the north eastern corner of Brownlow Street and George Street, Stonehouse, stood the Builder’s Arms. Throughout that time Brownlow Street provided a direct link between Union Street and Millbay Road, however in the post-war reconstruction, and industrialisation, of this part of Stonehouse, George Street has all but disappeared. Today Stonehouse Street runs along a similar line and only small sections of Brownlow Street survive. The Builder’s Arms though was long gone before these changes though and didn’t extend beyond the First World War, let alone make it as far as the Second World War, unlike the identically named Morice Town pub which was a victim of the April 1941 Blitz.


1862 - Elizabeth Pike
1865 - Elizabeth Denning
1873 - Walter Woodward
1895 - Samuel Dawe
1904 - J Saunders
1911 - Edward Puddeford